In preparing for the audition, please consider the following:
- Sing a jazz standard swing tune. Perform two choruses, with the first 16 bars of the second chorus to be improvised, using either scat syllables or lyrics.
- Sing a standard ballad. Perform 1 & ½ choruses. After completing one chorus, go back to the bridge or second half and sing the tune with alterations (improvisation).
- Bring 2 copies of the lead sheets in your key for accompanists that will be provided. Please do not bring sheet music.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead the band by counting off the tunes and signaling the endings.
- Vocalists should be able to read musical notation comfortably.
- Be prepared to take a brief written placement exam covering musical rudiments (unless you are already enrolled in music theory courses at City College).
Example of a jazz standard swing tune: Autumn Leaves, Softly, As In a Morning Sunrise, Alone Together, A Beautiful Friendship, Just Friends, Lullaby of Birdland, I’ve Got the World on a String
Example of a jazz standard ballad: My Foolish Heart, Body and Soul, My Funny Valentine, In a Sentimental Mood, Angel Eyes
If you audition by MP3, follow the same guidelines as above. Please record your audition CD with a pianist, guitarist, band or play along track. A capella recordings will not be accepted.