In preparing for the audition, please consider the following:
- Sing a jazz standard swing tune. Perform two choruses, with the first 16 bars of the second chorus to be improvised, using either scat syllables or lyrics.
- Sing a standard ballad. Perform 1 & ½ choruses. After completing one chorus, go back to the bridge or second half and sing the tune with alterations (improvisation).
- Bring 2 copies of the lead sheets in your key for accompanists that will be provided. Please do not bring sheet music.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead the band by counting off the tunes and signaling the endings.
- Vocalists should be able to read musical notation comfortably.
- Be prepared to take a brief written placement exam covering musical rudiments (unless you are already enrolled in music theory courses at City College).
If you audition by MP3, follow the same guidelines as above. Please record your audition CD with a pianist, guitarist, band or play along track. A capella recordings will not be accepted.